Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ode to Teachers...

     The first day of school is fast approaching (three weeks and counting). As I begin to think about preparing my classroom for the new students who will enter it, I find my mind traveling back to the teachers in my own early life who inspired me and influenced who I would become. There are many teachers and classrooms I remember clearly; three stand out from my days at Christian Day School in San Fernando, way back in the 1960's.

     Mrs. Reid, slender, dark-haired, gentle-voiced, and very strict, taught me to read in first grade, using the famous (or infamous) Reading with Dick and Jane series. I can vividly see and even hear the first pages of those books. I loved Dick, Jane, Sally, and of course, Spot.
Look.
Look, look.
Oh, look.
See Spot.
See Spot run.
Run, Spot, run!
I had come to first grade with a powerful desire to learn the mystery of reading, and Mrs. Reid granted that wish. (Don't you just love the irony of her name?) I am forever grateful to her. I can see that wide room, cool and dark, filled with wood-topped desks, rubbed deep-brown and satin-smooth from years of eager use. Mrs. Reid would pass around a bin full of small, square, yellow letter tiles from which we would take great handfuls, then quietly create words on our desktops. I felt a sense of magic in that activity: I had the power to make words that others could read and understand!

     In fourth grade, I basked in the radiance of Mrs. Hart (again, a name so like her being!) She was round and warm and constantly smiling; she oozed love. Her classroom was brightly lit and full of colors. Students' papers smiled proudly from the walls. I know we studied math and science and California history, complete with the standard Mission Model, but my most powerful memory is of the books Mrs. Hart kept on a special shelf at the back of the room. A series of biographies of famous Americans written especially for children, we were allowed to borrow them to read during free time or when we had finished an assignment. A contest developed: who could read the most books from this vast collection before the year was over? I loved those books, especially those about famous female Americans like Betsy Ross and Abigail Adams. Every spare moment I could squeeze out of the day, I spent reading those books. There were about fifty, I think, and I read most, though not all, of them. My interest in strong female characters has stayed with me; I find the life stories of women like Harriet Tubman, Amelia Earhart, and Eleanor Roosevelt to be powerful influences on my own life and character.

     Mr. Fesler made my sixth grade year amazing, utterly amazing. Tall and slender, dressed in shirt and tie, Mr. Fesler was a commanding figure. He was brilliant; he seemed to know everything about everything. And he was artistic and creative, too. Oh, Mr. Fesler held us up to the highest standards, pushed us academically, then rewarded us with his attention and compliments. I started the year with four lovely spiral notebooks, each a different pastel color. I had never before possessed a spiral notebook; they seemed so adult and I felt so grownup using them. I remember taking notes and drawing careful and detailed illustrations with colored pencils in those books: Ra the Sun God, a map of the Nile, a neuron and a muscle cell, the digestive system. For an art project, I remember using pastel chalks in vibrant colors (again, soooo adult!) to create a beautiful scene of ocean waves and sky on a huge piece of construction paper, pictures which were eventually suspended from the classroom ceiling. We did Algebra, too, that year. (How grownup is that!) I learned about X and Y and equations and fell in love with them all. Math is black and white; answers are right or wrong. And, if they're wrong, you can confidently go back and fix them. Every afternoon that year, I came home from school, and immediately sat down at the dining room table to do my homework, always starting with math. To this day, if you look closely at that table in my parents' dining room, you can clearly see equations impressed deeply into its surface in my handwriting.

     As the first day of school year 2010-2011 approaches, I aspire to share with my eighth graders my love for, and the power of, words and reading. I aspire to create a space and a community so that we can all learn and grow, be inspired, and develop our characters.

(In preparing this blog, I googled Christian Day School in San Fernando, hoping to link to a photo or two, old or new... only to find that it doesn't exist any longer... using google's surface street view on Kewen Street, I can't even find the buildings... and the only school listed in the directory is a Headstart Preschool... so if you have access to photos, let me know, please!)

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the memories!!! The buildings are still there I believe, the Church has rented out the property to someone for something - I am so informed LOL!

    I remember thinking about being a nurse after I read about Clara Barton in Mrs. Hart's class. I think of my years there and 2nd, 4th & 6th were amongst the very best.

    Mrs. Richardson was our 2nd grade teacher, after Mrs. Reid died and Mrs. Richardson's husband died... Mr. Reid and Mrs. Richardson started corresponding and married late in life.

    I loved being your best friend all through Elementary School and treasure that we are still friends.

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this walk down "Memory Lane" with me, Debbie! I remember that Mrs. Richardson retired right after our class, and I remember you and others being sooooo sad and how she was your favorite teacher for years afterward... but I never connected with her that way, and she is barely a memory in my mind. I find it sweet that she and Mr. Reid got married. I'm glad you told me that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the curmudgeonly phase of my younger-minded years, i remember more of the teachers who caused me grief. Your memories are so positive and inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I have those memories, too... I chose to leave them out... I'm trying to be more compassionate these days... at least in print!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can name a number of important teachers from my youth....Mrs. Gallagher in the 6th grade where we had to write 24 reports on Australian animals (first semester), second semester we wrote 24 reports on American cities. AND we made a beautiful, gold macaroni wreath for Christmas! Still had it until about 10 years ago! Ah, the memories. Thanks, Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay- new posts by you! I've been keeping my eyes open.

    Poetry may intimidate you, but prose intimidates me. Even though the typical prose piece contains more words than a poem, I feel like my shortcomings as a writer (and for that matter, as an individual) are more transparent with all those connecting words visibly holding my point together. :)

    You tell a story brilliantly, and I enjoy reading your accounts of past experiences. You made me think of my own former teachers (coughcough), and I don't think I could narrow it down to three. I've had so many wonderful, giving, and brilliant teachers that have helped to shape me. I consider myself truly blessed in this manner. There are so many that still own a large piece of love in my heart... and you are most certainly one of them!

    Don't worry- you will do wonderfully this year inspiring your students to be the best version of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Ryan: 2nd and 3rd grade. She read aloud to us every day...James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...A Wrinkle in Time. I gave her a pair of earrings for Christmas (or maybe it was the end of the school year in 2nd grade?!) and she wore them many times to school. I remember how good that made me feel.

    Throughout my elementary school years we were given book order forms to fill out. We could purchase books two or three times a year. I remember waiting in anticipation for my book order to come in. A whole stack of new books - somewhere between six to eight per order...Harriet the Spy, Deenie, Go Ask Alice (I got that one in 6th grade - that wowed me like nothing else). I would hunker down in my bedroom and read each one as if it was my actual sustenance!

    Ahh - thanks, as always, for bringing me back (and forward...now that I'm a teacher I realize where some of my "brilliant" ideas have come from: from those wonderful teachers taht went before)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to my faithful readers and dear friends... I love your stories about your favorite teachers...

    ReplyDelete